Sculpture: Bocq River Goddess
St Gilles began receiving water from the Bocq in 1896. The commune, wishing to celebrate this achievement, commissioned Lambeaux who planned a complex, rocky, multi-figure monument, but there were problems with its size and placement such that Lambeaux finally created only this statue. However the statue was deemed indecent (she certainly has a joyful voluptuousness one doesn't often find in memorials of this date) and languished in a cellar until May 1976 when she was finally installed (times had changed), at the site originally planned for the whole monument. Credit for these details to the Derom book mentioned on our New Visitors page.
Site: St Gilles Hôtel de Ville (5 memorials)
1060, pl M Van Meenen, St Gilles Hôtel de Ville
These five memorials are all at the front of the building (north face). In left-to-right sequence they are: Vanmeenen, WW1 (A-L), Goddess, WW1(L-Z), WW2.