Fountain/Statue: Le Petit Sablon - Egmont and Hornes
To the Counts Egmont and Hornes. Condemned by an iniquitous sentence passed by the Duke of Alba and beheaded at Brussels 5 June 1568.
5 Juin 1568
The statue is dated 1864 and was inaugurated 17 December that year together with its ornate plinth and fountain in the Grand Place in front of the Maison du Roi, at the top of the steps, with the figures looking out. In 1872 the derelict Maison du Roi was demolished and rebuilt but the monument did not reappear until 1879 when, at the suggestion of the Petit Sablon’s architect, Beyaert, it was re-erected there, in front of Egmont’s former palace.
Site: Le Petit Sablon (11 memorials)
1000, place du Petit Sablon
There are whole books written on this, the prettiest public garden in Brussels. All we can give here is a very brief summary. The layout of the garden was designed in 1890 by Henri Beyaert, The railings are divided by 48 columns, each topped with a little statue representing one of the 16th century guilds of Brussels. For the purposes of this web site these statues are not "memorials" (phew). Inside the park there is an impressive fountain surmounted by a statue pair, which is surrounded with a semicircle of 10 marble statues, all of which are considered memorials and are listed here, each being allocated a letter (clockwise) indicating their position in the semicircle. They are all distinguished Belgians of the 16th century and the statues were inaugurated on 20 July 1890.